SABCIn terms of the Broadcasting Act, No 4 of 1999, as amended the following particulars and documentation are required:
1. If exemption from payment of TV licence fees is requested on the basis of an extended sojourn abroad (12 months or more), proof thereof is required by way of substantiating travel documents. That could be in the form of a copy of a stamped passport reflecting the exit date from South Africa or of an airline ticket, a visa, a work permit, etc. Any one of said documents would be suffice.

2. Storage of a TV set is accepted as grounds for exemption from payment of licence fees only if a set is stored with a removals / storage company. In that case, confirmation (specifying the storage period) is required by way of a letter/invoice/receipt of the company concerned. “Storage” in one’s garage or storeroom or with parents or friends [where the “stored” TV set may be removed, used at will and then replaced without the SABC’s knowledge] does not qualify for such exemption.

3. Should a licence holder notify the SABC before departure that he/she would be leaving South Africa permanently, proof of emigration is required by way of a copy of travel or emigration documents reflecting the date of departure – such as an airline ticket, exit permit, visa, overseas work permit or contract, etc. Any one of these documents would suffice. If an emigrating licence holder takes his/her television set(s) along overseas, documentary proof thereof is required in the form of a copy of the shipping documents or manifest of the furniture removals or shipping company handling the transportation of goods to the destination abroad.

4. Should the television set(s) have been given away/donated/sold, the new owner’s particulars.
Should no such prescribed documentation be provided to the SABC, an account will not be closed and, should a licence holder return to South Africa at a later stage, his/her television licence would have remained active and would obviously reflect a substantial overdue balance.

I trust that this clarifies the legal obligations pertaining to a TV licence in the event of a licence holder emigrating. Your account will be processed on the basis of the information/documentation provided.

They advise: “Please mail or fax the information/documentation to the SABC. On receipt thereof the matter will receive our urgent attention. Should you need more information, please call our Customer Service Centre on (011) 330-9555 and quote your TV licence number in any communication with the SABC on this matter.”

Should anyone need documents certified in the UK or a Commissioner of oaths to depose to the attach form please contact us and we will be happy to arrange assistance from one of our Public Access barristers

Affidavit Form: SABCTVFORM1